Reports to: Tanzania Director
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Start Date: May or June 2022
Level of Effort: Full time
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
D-tree is among the most experienced digital health partners in Tanzania, having worked with the government and multiple NGO partners since 2008 on a wide range of digital health programs focused on improving the quality of healthcare delivery. We are currently collaborating with the Tanzanian government on a digitally-enabled primary health care program in Kibaha, which has gained significant interest and is poised to strengthen a number of government digital health systems in Tanzania. We are also engaged in an early-child development research collaboration in which we are designing digital tools to facilitate an integrated community-based ECD parenting program, and are engaging as the digital health partner in a large-scale community health TB/HIV program. As our portfolio in the digital community health space continues to grow, we have an opportunity to expand our engagement with the national government to serve as a key digital health partner for strengthening primary health care services. This is an exciting opportunity to help deepen and expand our work and impact.
Who you are
We are seeking a Senior Technical Advisor, based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, to lead D-tree’s digital health partnerships with the government, NGO partners and funders in Mainland Tanzania. You are someone with strong existing relationships within the government and NGO and donor communities—particularly as related to digital health. You have a strong understanding of Tanzania’s government systems and experience working with key players within MOH and PO-RALG ICT and health units. You are strategic in turning relationships and conversations into concrete partnership opportunities and you are proactive in following through and cultivating these opportunities to turn them into impactful projects and programs for the organization. At the same time, you are experienced in collaborating with teammates to develop and implement strategies to promote government ownership of programs and systems integration through understanding the health system context and relevancy and benefits of D-tree programs. You are comfortable and confident in high-level meetings with government, funders, and NGO partners, and you enjoy developing and executing program plans and strategies to grow the portfolio and reputation of the organization. You are recognized as a technical expert in digital health, with strong networks within the Tanzanian government, partners and funders working in digital health in Tanzania. You have strong technical and analytical skills and can assess the environment, needs, and opportunities within Tanzania and then identify strategic opportunities for D-tree. You have the ability to clearly articulate D-tree’s vision and strategically position our work within the broader health landscape in Tanzania. Finally, you are proactive and a strong communicator, which will foster productive collaboration with colleagues across international time zones.
What you will do
This is a dynamic, challenging and rewarding role requiring an individual with extensive experience working with the Tanzanian government and key stakeholders in digital health, and fostering strategic partnerships. You will work with the Tanzania Director and Deputy Director to coordinate across stakeholders to ensure that we are consistently aligned with collaborating organizations and the government’s digital health strategy and implementation roadmap to promote and ensure successful program implementation. You will be a key member of the D-tree Tanzania leadership team—defining our strategic approach in Tanzania–and will work closely with the mainland team of 15-20 staff as well as D-tree’s global support team. Finally, as part of your role you will stay up to date on current trends in digital technology and innovation to improve healthcare delivery, both within Tanzania and globally, in order to inform D-tree’s growth, the scale and sustainability of our programs, and expand D-tree’s reputation within the region.
Government engagement, coordination and representation
- Working closely with the Director, develop and foster strong relationships within the MOH and PO-RALG to increase D-tree’s visibility, and cultivate opportunities to support digital health initiatives within Tanzania, with particular attention to the scale and sustainability of D-tree innovations and programs
- Working closely with the Director, represent D-tree to senior government, promoting D-tree’s mission and vision and positioning D-tree as the government’s trusted digital health advisor, particularly in the area of community health
- In partnership with D-tree Tanzania leadership, secure government buy-in for scaling and adapting D-tree programs, in line with D-tree’s strategic plans and programs
- Collaborate with the D-tree Tanzania program team in developing and implementing strategies to support government ownership of D-tree supported initiatives and integration of D-tree’s programs into government systems
- Represent D-tree in national Technical Working Groups (TWGs) and/or Advisory Groups within digital health, community health, and early childhood development
- Coordinate D-tree programs across government units within MOH and PO-RALG
- Articulate the value and impact of D-tree’s approach and programs to various units within the government ministries
- Present project highlights and results at meetings and forums/conferences
- Coordinate across partners supporting digital community health programs to ensure alignment across digital health programs, supporting one unified digital community health system
- Lead communications about digital system requirements and functionality for a unified digital community health system
- Collaborate with the Tanzania Director to develop, foster, and bolster relationships with other NGOs in Tanzania to increase D-tree’s visibility, understand Tanzania’s health landscape, identify synergies, and initiate discussions around potential collaboration
- Support D-tree Tanzania leadership and Global Support Team on proposals or new project plans and elicit input and approval from government counterparts
- Employ a solid understanding of the common global health software platforms and mobile applications—particularly those utilized by D-tree—in order to effectively communicate about current and potential uses of technology with potential partners
- Possess a deep understanding of the field of digital health—its history and evolution—particularly in Tanzania; understand digital health best practices and become competent in articulating and explaining these ideas to non-technical audiences
- Become highly familiar with Tanzania’s Digital Health Strategy and Investment Roadmap and gain a strong understanding of government ICT and digital health priorities through conversations with the ICT units of PO-RALG, MOH, and relevant partners
- Stay abreast of advancements in technology and innovation for health, both globally and within the Tanzania ecosystem
What we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to support D-tree’s continued growth and quality. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience, including at least 3 years’ experience working in digital health within Tanzania
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. health informatics, digital health, etc.) preferred
- Significant experience engaging with government officials at national, regional, and district levels and established relationships with key stakeholders within Tanzania’s MOH and PO-RALG, particularly in the areas of ICT and/or community health
- In-depth knowledge of the Tanzanian digital health sector initiatives, priorities, and plans
- Superior analytic skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems
- Experience working with digital technology and innovation
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and spoken Swahili and English
- Experience working with digital health programs
- Experience in government systems strengthening and building government capacity to oversee strengthened programs; health system strengthening experience preferred
- Experience in scaling and sustaining innovations within public sector system and/or with private sector collaborations
- A can-do attitude: You remain optimistic in the face of adversity and creatively solve problems to get things done.
- A systems thinker: You are able to understand linkages and interactions between individual components in a health system, and design solutions to strengthen the overall system.
- An innovator: You enjoy thinking outside of the box and want to use that thinking to solve pressing global health problems.
- A detail oriented & strategic thinker: You pay attention to small details and focus on quality and consistency, but also have the ability to see the big picture and think strategically.
87,750,000 TZS to 135,000,000 TZS gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please fill in the GOOGLE FORM HERE.
Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV as well as a thoughtful, tailored cover letter will be considered.
This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only.