Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents(http://www.aku.edu). An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (http://www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The position will be based in Dar es Salaam
The incumbent will provide an effective counselling service for students at the Aga Khan University in Tanzania: will offer workshops for student’s development: s/he will be responsible for self-referrals and referrals from other staff within the University.
Areas of responsibilities:
- Increase personal awareness through Pyscho-educational sessions, counselling sessions
- Enhance coping strategies through Pyscho-educational sessions, counselling sessions
- Identification of students needing counselling support.
- Identification of environmental stressors that have impact on students’ emotional well-being
Reports to: Assistant Registrar, Tanzania
- Honors Degree in Psychology/ Counselling Psychology/ Educational Psychology;
- Post graduate Doctoral level training in Clinical, Counselling or Educational Psychology:
- With 4 years of experience as a Counsellor with administrative and substantial experience of offering Cognitive Behavior Therapy [CBT], Cognitive Analytic Therapy [CAT] or another cognitive approach, preferably in a comparable setting.
- Substantial experience of working with adults and/or children/ adolescents and their families or have transferable skills from the Health and Social Care sector or Education Sector;
- Knowledge of psychology, lifespan developmental psychology, models of psychopathology, mental health, cognitive impairment, psychometrics, and psychological therapies relevant to this specialism:
- Ability to use complex methods of psychological assessment intervention and management frequently requiring sustained and intense concentration good attention to details and ability to work fast (but without mistakes)
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism in the face of highly emotive and distressing problems.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements of this position, please send your application package which should include an application letter, an updated CV to email@example.com not later than 8th May 2022
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.