“Sometimes in life there is that moment when it’s possible to make a change for the better. This is one of those moments.”
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) began supporting HIV and AIDS programming in Tanzania in 2003 and established a country office in 2004. Ever since, in close collaboration and partnership with the Ministry of Health Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children and Presidents Office Regional Administration and Local Government, EGPAF expanded scope to supporting quality comprehensive and integrated HIV, GBV, TB and Family planning services in the supported regions. Recently, EGPAF in collaboration with consortium partners Amref Health Tanzania, Engender Health, D-tree International and Matchboxology won the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)/Tanzania’s Comprehensive Client Centered Health Program – HIV and Tuberculosis Northern (CH3P-HIV&TB) Activity contract. Under C3HP, EGPAF offers USAID a responsive and forward-thinking approach that will address the evolving needs of the people of Tanzania as they relate to HIV in 5 regions (Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Manyara, Dodoma and Singida), tuberculosis (TB) in 6 regions (Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Manyara, Dodoma and Singida and Tabora), and family planning (FP) in 3 regions (Arusha, Dodoma and Manyara) services across each continuum.
Job title: Associate Technical Officer – Laboratory Services
Primary manager: Senior Strategic Results Manager
Job Grade: 4
Location: Dodoma and Manyara.
The purpose of this position is to strengthen the implementation and management of overall laboratory quality management system and RAS+ activities for the C3HP – project in supported sites in the. The Associate Technical Officer Laboratory Services [ATO LS] will provide direct technical assistance to laboratories and sites and ensure that the appropriate resources are deployed to assist sites in maintaining the highest level of quality systems and implementation of the RAS+ plan.
The [ATO LS] will fully be accountable to the RAS+ leadership and technically reports to Senior Technical Advisor Laboratory Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring good quality clinical laboratory testing in the C3HP supported facilities in the Dodoma regional supported sites including:
- To conduct needs assessment at supported sites; identify areas for improvement for quality services including introduction of new technologies.
- Ensure availability and proper use of laboratory SOPs, manuals, guidelines, worksheets, and forms at all sites and sections. Assist in the modification of these forms whenever required
- Capacity building in collaboration with the Senior Technical Advisor Laboratory Services prepare and facilitate trainings for Health Care workers including laboratory staffs, and other stakeholders as planned/ needed.
- Actively involved in laboratory related program planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation and reporting to appropriate levels within the foundation
- Monitor sample transportation (Spoke – Hub model) and verify the documents at project office before the courier submits to C3HP Dar es Salaam office for review and payment process
- Provide technical support on implementation of the HIV Viral load testing services for both conventional and Point of Care sites, including sample/ results transportation logistics.
- Provide technical support on HEID testing at Point of Care testing sites also ensure sample transportation to testing Lab with conventional machine (Muhimbili Lab in Dar es Salaam) and post analytical phases which includes results return at standard turnaround time (TAT)
- Provide technical support on implementation of Laboratory Quality Management system including Laboratory Accreditation.
- Support districts in planning and implementing laboratory services towards sustainability of Laboratory program
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by the supervisors or delegate
- Follow up to receive quality quarterly lab reports and as needed, data analysis then shares with other levels including the Senior Technical Advisor Laboratory Services for continual improvement
- Collaborate with other C3HP staffs, and regularly inform all local stakeholders about the C3HP’s supported laboratory activities in the region/ district
- Provide any other information /reports as requested by senior management
- Document/ involved in documentation of technical findings e.g. piloting, best practices etc.
- Ensure quality lab service input to the quarterly, semiannual and annual report from the supported project councils
- Applicants must be the laboratory technologist completed from the Government recognized institution, with 3 years Medical Diploma/ Advanced Diploma, a degree would be advantageous
- Candidates must be registered or eligible for registration with the Tanzanian Medical Laboratory Council
- At least four years’ bench laboratory experience in general clinical laboratory testing, including HIV testing, CD4, Viral load testing, Microbiology etc.
- Capable of using various machines including DNA PCR/ VL machine, FACS Presto, PIMA, Gene X-pert machine, TB Microscopy etc.
- Knowledge and skills on Good Laboratory Practice/ Good Clinical Laboratory Practice, Laboratory Safety Management.
- Ability to conduct Laboratory trainings, mentorships, and Supportive supervision
- Writing and performing Laboratory presentations using data
- Ability to plan, develop and work independently
- Familiarize with the National Laboratory guidelines and policies
- Clear demonstration of interpersonal skills and ability to communicate (written and oral communication) effectively
- Basic knowledge in computer software applications such as MS Word, Excel, and the Internet
- Ability to work independently, committed to implementing Laboratory quality standards as required under ISO: 15189 including Laboratories under accreditation road map.
Coordination and technical support at the supported sites:
Documentation and Reporting of laboratory services
Skills and desired competencies
HOW TO APPLY
EGPAF is an equal opportunities employer and the position is open to all. Qualified candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and relevant certificates explaining how the experience detailed in the CV will contribute to the requirements of the position and references to EGPAF.
Submissions to be sent to the Link Below:
Link to job posting: https://phe.tbe.taleo.net/phe02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=PEDAIDS&cws=41&rid=2680
Closing Date: April 29th 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for submitting the application is 29 April 2022.