Youth Empowerment Officer
SOS Children’s Villages Tanzania is a local non-government organization affiliated to SOS Children’s Villages International, a worldwide child care and protection organization that provides orphaned and destitute children with a permanent home and educational opportunities. Established 60 years ago, SOS Children’s Villages International the umbrella organization, currently has Children’s Villages and other projects in 135 countries around the world. Globally, it runs the SOS Children’s Village Programme which has two main arms, i.e. Family Based Care based at SOS Children’s Villages and Family Strengthening Programmes supporting families in local communities. SOS has been working in the United Republic of Tanzania since 1991, and implements its programs in the following locations Zanzibar, Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Iringa. SOS Children’s Villages Tanzania seeks to recruit a suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions;
Job Title: Youth Empowerment Officer (1 Post)
Reporting to: Arusha
Alternative Care Coordinator
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Youth Empowerment Officer is responsible for strengthening the capacity of youth by developing young people’s life skills, employability, entrepreneurship, digital skills and promoting engagement and active citizenship.He/She is responsible to build capacity in the community to support the development of quality youth work and enhance the quality and scope of youth provision in community settings, so that young people can be healthy, stay safe, enjoy and achieve, make positive contributions and achieve economic wellbeing.Encourages independent entrepreneurship by inspiring young people to set up their own businesses, also work with relevant stakeholders to create fair and proper jobs through working with the private sector to educate and coach young people in skills that meet the demands of the local labour market and ensures youths contribute meaningfully into the organization and community at large.
- Support to conduct needs assessments, awareness raising and information activities with the support of Program Manager.
- Support the ongoing implementation of engaging young people in digital platforms.
- Build a strong relationship with young people and the wider community, identifying the local needs and support the development of services.
- Support outreach and engagement with the private sector on youth empowerment and skills building, specifically skills for employability.
- Participate in the creation of awareness raising campaigns on the importance of child rights, child labour, education, youth employment policies, protection policies, social cohesion and other related topics.
- Support to skilled youths to enter the workforce through internships and/or employment and/or business mentorship activities (referrals, tailored projects, peer-to-peer activities).
- Assist with the planning and organization of tailored awareness raising sessions, focused group discussions, youth led initiatives and special event in identified areas.
- Work with community provisions to support the development and delivery of information / guidance and activities, which aim to meet the needs and aspirations of the young people within the community.
- Provide information, advice and guidance to the community/ stakeholders in developing youth provision, ensuring the groups understand their purpose, responsibilities and best practice, and the role of the councils in supporting them.
- Provide outreach youth work as required to engage with young people deemed to be causing anti-social behaviour.
- Support the Youth Empowerment Coordinator in delivering the community’s youth network forum to enable practitioners working with young people to share best practice and identify skills and training needs.
- Promote and support innovative and creative ways to generate income including (but not exclusively) fundraising initiatives and external funding via grants and sponsorship to ensure the ongoing sustainability of the youth clubs and community projects.
- Provide casework support for young people to engage with support services, education, employment and community opportunities.
- Support and initiate strategies to prevent and address the problem of substance misuse and other anti-social behaviour among youth.
- Provide ongoing support, advocacy and monitoring of services and programs for youth.
- Maintain and establish partnerships and networks with services and programs (e.g. local school, clinic, police, mental health services, and other services) and work together to address the needs of young people
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCES:
- Bachelor Degree in Community Development / Community Economic Development and Sociology.
- At least 2- 3 years previous experience in child/youth quality care / relevant NGO’s experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including, and authorities at different levels, NGOs, youth organizations.
- Work experience in education, social work or community development is desired
- Work experience with adolescents’ is desired
- Good knowledge of national child care legislation and child’s rights
- Demonstrates a high level of empathy/emotional intelligence particularly working with young people and adolescents
- Understanding and knowledge of subjects relating specifically to the care of adolescents (e.g. sexual health, HIV/Aids, relationships)
How to apply:
Interested candidates for any of the above positions should submit an application letter by email enclosed by only detailed and updated CV with telephone contacts, email address and details of at least 3 referees.The candidate MUST clearly indicate the title of position applied for. Only contacted candidates for the interview will submit copies of academic and professional certificates. This advert can be obtained on our website http://www.sos-childrensvillagestanzania.or.tz. Closing date is 22nd April, 2022. To apply please send to;
The National Director SOS Children’s Villages Tanzania.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Please Note: SOS Children’s Villages Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and committed to keeping children safe from abuse and harm, therefore candidates applying for this post will be subject to child safeguarding recruitment procedures and checks.