SmartCentres REIT Vaughan, Ontario, Canada; At first, our mission was retail focused, based on the belief that all Canadians deserve fair pricing for their weekly shopping needs. With a shared vision, we helped Walmart enter the Canadian market in 1994, and remain Walmart’s only real estate development partner in the world.
We have since expanded to every Canadian province, but have never lost sight of why we do what we do. As Canadians’ needs evolve, our offering continues to expand, while remaining true to our purpose and core values and continuing to leverage our land development expertise.
Sr. Director, ESG and SustainabilityReports To: VP Operations and SVP Business OperationsDepartment: Business OperationsSummaryReporting to the VP Operations and SVP Business Operations of SmartCentres, the Sr. Director, ESG and Sustainability and Sustainability will lead and influence the ESG policy for SmartCentres, including developing and implementing a comprehensive sustainability strategy.
The Position will play a major role, in collaboration with a range of SmartCentres and sector leaders, in the integration of the REIT’s ESG strategy across the business, reflecting the increasing importance to leading corporations globally and their major stakeholder constituencies.
The Sr. Director will be integral in developing actions plans to address the identified priorities from the multiple data collection sources, working across the SmartCentres family to identify resources, activities, outcomes and cost-benefit analysis. This role will then be responsible for the implementation of the identified action plans, as well as the ongoing management and enhancement of the program.
- Lead SmartCentres ESG and sustainability program and development, in collaboration and consultation with all department leads, external advisors, stakeholders and Board.
- Prepare and coordinate all ESG public disclosure, including annual Sustainability Report and reporting into primary frameworks, such as GRESB, as well as SASB and TCFD disclosure.
- Research all potential sources of ESG knowledge and expertise to construct, populate and maintain a virtual library of all aspects of ESG including governing statutes/regulations and government policies/processes
- Identifying best practices in our industry and for leading real estate companies in Canada
- Working with Development executives to assess long-term value equations for emerging “green” technologies
- Cataloging existing requirements and/or approaches from investors, lenders, and investment managers
- Financial data gathering, budgeting, and basic modelling
- Site visits to various SmartCentres sites to assess current practices
- Preparing and presenting status reports to Executive Committee and the Board
- Develop/maintain strong working relationships with key business decision makers to champion the ESG strategy across SmartCentresAcademic/Professional Requirements:
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline such as Business, Environmental Science or Economics, Social Science, etc.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in a consumer-facing industry or industries with at least 3 years in an ESG or related strategy and implementation role
- LEED AP, CEM, WELL AP, Fitwel Ambassador, LBC and other related credentials are an asset.
- Working knowledge of CaGBC/GBCI/IWBI processes and procedures for LEED and WELL certification.Sound knowledge of green lease negotiations, MEP and BMS systems, and the design, construction, and commissioning of commercial real estate.
- Experience with energy and sustainability technologies and sustainability metrics (i.e., Energy Star, GRESB, GRI, etc.).
- Up to date with global/industry ESG trends and their application in commercial real estate.
- Ability to communicate technical requirements for LEED certification, specifically EBOM, NC, CS, and CI and of Arc and LEED v4 requirementsRequired Skills/Experience:
- Passion to make an impact on environmental and social issues
- Experience in the real estate and/or construction industry preferred
- Direct knowledge of the development or urban planning industries considered an asset
- Experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Strong management, decision-making and interpersonal sensitivity skills
- Highly effective written and oral communication and presentation skills, both for internal and external interactions at all levels of the organization including Executives and the Board of Trustees
- Excellent analytical skills and a familiarity with sustainability strategy and reporting measurement and analysis
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including PowerPoint and Excel
- A rigorous attention to detail and approach to research and analysis ValuesThe Associate shall conduct him/herself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the Trust’s interests. The Associate shall also demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Position must take accountability for decisions made and is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
APPLY HERE ; https://ca.linkedin.com/jobs