Positon: Finance Manager
Career with BRAC International
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organisation, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflictprone and post-disaster settings. It is an organisation of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania is part of a leading development organization that started its operations in 2006 in Tanzania, focusing on thematic areas of Agriculture, Youth and Women Empowerment, Food Security and Livelihood
About the Programme
In 2022, the Mastercard Foundation in partnership with BRAC International (BI) will be announcing an initiative that will create a positive and measurable impact for 1.2 million adolescent girls and young women and 9.5 million people across seven countries in East and West Africa, including Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, and Uganda.
There is mounting urgency to support adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) living in poverty, which has been further amplified by the global pandemic. Through this partnership, scalable economic development approaches will be delivered in communities to foster the agency and voice of AGYW. They will have the opportunity to fulfill their aspirations, achieve sustainable livelihoods, and engage in advocacy issues.
BRAC International will implement an integrated and holistic model to address the various life cycles of a young woman living in poverty, ensuring she is able to transition safely from adolescence to adulthood. She will be equipped with the appropriate skills, tools, and access to finance to effectively exercise her agency and build a fulfilling and productive livelihood.
In preparation for the launch, BRAC International is seeking applications from competent, dynamic and selfmotivated individuals to fill the following position in BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania
FINANCE MANAGER (AD# MCFBMT-2204)
The purpose of this position is to ensure effective and efficient financial Reporting of BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania including its monitoring, financial reporting for external and internal stakeholders, financial management and planning.
- Ensure the monthly review of consolidated organizational budget performance against the project’s budget, forecasting expenses and tracking the ongoing commitments against the approved budget.
- Advise the Head of Finance on issues, trends, and changes in the financial operating performance and operational delivery; proactively communicating issues that are anticipated before they arise.
- Assist the Head of Finance to ensure the activities are within the approved budgets for programs and delivery through collaborative working practices.
- Work collaboratively across all departments, field offices and Head office.
- Produce timely and accurate monthly and quarterly period-end reports and schedules for review with Head of Finance.
- Maintain financial records for each activity in a manner that facilitates timely and accurate management reports at month end.
- Support maintaining compliance with internal financial and accounting policies, administrative procedures and local statutory requirements.
- Code and post payment vouchers and general journals to the accounting system in advance of month end closure.
- Prepare timely monthly bank reconciliation statements.
- Assist with the maintenance of accurate financial records that are appropriate and give the required confidence to internal and external users.
- Support the Head of Finance in ensuring all statutory requirements of the organization are met and tax remittance to the Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) is done in a timely manner including filing returns to all statutory bodies and following them to completion.
- Assist the Head of Finance in the preparation of information for the annual audits.
- Assist with the documentation and maintenance of complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions and keep record of all scanned copies.
- Maintain financial accounting systems for accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash and ensure monthly reconciliation and follow up is made.
- Ensure that employees’ payroll and financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current legislation.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs and program budgets and actual expenses
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
- Must have bachelor Degree in Finance and Accounts or any other related field. MBA is an added advantage
- Must have a professional certification
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to plan and manage a complex team.
- Interpersonal communication skills and team work
- Computer Skills, (Microsoft office application -Advance Level), internet, some maintenance and repair)
- Entrepreneurship knowledge, Skills and competencies
- English and Swahili Language skills (Fluent)
- Income Tax and Laws knowledge
- Finance, Accounting and budget knowledge
- Accounting framework particularly from IFRS and IAS
- Minimum 5 years’ progressive experience in accounting and finance role with an international NGO.
- Minimum 3 years’ supervision of a team of at least 5 people.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: CONTRACTUAL
JOB LOCATION: Dar es salaam, Tanzania
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
Candidate needs to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position and AD# ………………. in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 9th April 2022
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are a part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer.